- Pope clears the way for the canonizations of John Paul II, John XXIII by Cindy Wooden. Catholic News Service. 07/05/13. Pope Francis signed a decree clearing the way for the canonization of Blessed John Paul II and has decided also to ask the world's cardinals to vote on the canonization of Blessed John XXIII, even in the absence of a miracle. John Allen Jr. reports opes John XXIII and John Paul II will likely be canonized together within the year. See also: Wherein Fr. Z explains what is really going on with the canonizations of John XXIII and John Paul II, by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf.
- Francis (with Benedict) dedicates the Vatican to St Michael , by Gianni Valenti. La Stampa "The Vatican Insider" 07/05/13. The Bishop of Rome – in the presence of his predecessor – unveils a statue of St Michael in the Vatican gardens. And places the Vatican city under the protection of the Archangel St Joseph.
- Pope Francis gets the keys to the latest Popemobile, a converted, Alabama-built Mercedes M-Class AL.com (All Alabama) 07/05/13.
The head of Mercedes-Benz Cars had a private meeting this week with Pope Francis at the Vatican to hand over the keys to the latest Popemobile, which was converted from an M-Class produced at the German automaker's Alabama plant. ...
The hand-over was mainly a symbolic gesture underscoring that the new pope also trusts in the automaker's cars, said Mareike Jahnle, a Daimler spokesperson. The only change was the coat of arms that is embroidered on the throne in the dome of the car.
- Francis plans dramatic pro-immigrant outing, by John Allen Jr. National Catholic Reporter 07/02/13:
For Europeans, especially Italians, the southern Mediterranean island of Lampedusa has become what the deserts along the Mexican/U.S. border have long been for Americans -- the scene of appalling humanitarian tragedies as desperate migrants try to reach a better life as well as a metaphor for political and cultural tensions over immigration policy.
The fact that Pope Francis has chosen Lampedusa for his first visit outside Rome on Monday, therefore, is anything but casual. ...
- Pope Francis Tweets compiled by Thomas C. Fox. National Catholic Reporter 07/02/13. On the outside chance some NCR readers might have missed some of Pope Francis' tweets, I've gathered some of them here. These nuggets of spiritual wisdom date back to mid-May.
- Three things to learn about Francis from his sainthood surprise by John Allen, Jr. National Catholic Reporter 07/05/13.
- Benedict and Francis: How Much Difference Is There? by Alessandro Speciale Religion News Service | 06/20/13. 100 days into his pontificate, a debate is brewing in Rome over whether Francis has set a distinctly different course from his predecessor, or whether the visible differences in style and personality between Francis and Benedict XVI mask a deeper theological and ideological continuity.