- Pope Francis to cardinals: like good wine that improves with ages, let us old folks give youth the wisdom of life News.va. 03/15/13.
- Pope Francis to Rabbi of Rome:“I hope to contribute to the progress of relations between Jews and Catholics which began with Vatican Council II”. News.va. 03/15/13.
- Response to accusations against Bergoglio in Argentina News.va. At this afternoon's press conference, Fr. Federico Lombardi, S.J., director of the Holy See Press Office read a statement responding to allegations made against Bergoglio in Argentina. News.va. 03/15/13.
- Jesuit doorman surprised by Pope's phone call Catholic News Agency. "The Holy Father had to patiently and kindly convince the doorman who he was in order to speak with the Father General of the Jesuits to thank him for a letter the Pontiff received upon his election."
- For the first time since the Great Schism, ecumenical patriarch to attend pope's inaugural Mass AsiaNews.it. 03/15/13.
- By-the-book Vatican braces for unscripted papacy:
The Vatican, an age-old institution used to having almost everything done by the book, is bracing for the unscripted papacy.
In less than 24 hours after he became the first non-European pope in some 1,300 years, Francis seemed to break more rules than his predecessor did in eight years.
Coverage and Commentary
- The real winner of the 2013 conclave: St. Francis of Assisi, by John Allen Jr. National Catholic Reporter 03/15/13.
- Pope Francis: “No Ties to the Dictatorship”, by Anna Williams. First Things "First Thoughts" 03/15/13.
- Bergoglio tested by Argentine leaders, By Silvina Frydlewsky and Anthony Faiola. Washington Post 03/14/13.
- Pope Francis and the Lutherans, by Matthew Block. First Things "First Thoughts" 03/15/13. "Few Roman Catholics have understood Lutherans so well as did Benedict. What ought we to expect from newly elected Pope Francis?"
- Pope Francis, Friend of Evangelicals, by Matthew Schmitz. First Things "First Thoughts" 03/15/13.
- Sts. Ignatius and Francis of Assisi, a bond highlighted by Pope Francis, by Cindy Wooden. Catholic News Service. 03/15/13.
- Pope Francis: A Man of the Left?, by Dr. Samuel Gregg. National Review "The Corner" 03/15/13.
- Pope Francis - The Journey Begins, by Sean Fitzpatrick. Crisis 03/15/13.
- Pope Francis called to restore the Church, by Leonardo Boff. (English translation by Rebel Girl). 03/15/13.
- Pope Francis's book reveals a radical progressive in the making, by Giles Tremlett. The Guardian 03/15/13. "Book written as a cardinal shows a man with a profound social conscience and professing a genuine belief in interfaith dialogue."